Saturday, March 8, 2008

A grand time at the races!

Today we spent the better part of the afternoon at the annual classic car show - Midnight at the Oasis. The scouts held a pinewood derby competition where everyone could participate and Ben was so excited that we HAD to go and race. Who am I kidding? All the boys were excited (Greg included). Especially since they were bringing in Mario Andretti to sign autographs and start the race. He even raced against some of the boys, but we didn't get there early enough for that part. Kyle made a skateboard shaped car, and Ben made a Batmobile. They did pretty well, and Ben did awesome in his division, making the top 10 out of 60 + cars! The race took forever, (about 3 hours) and Kendra got tired. So she found a nice piece of grass and took a little nap! A woman from the Boy's Life magazine was there taking pictures, so we may be in an issue, possibly the cover with Mario Andretti being there! By the end of the day it was obvious that we had all gotten a little too much sun. Oh well, I guess it's that time of year again - bring on the sunblock! The boys had a blast picking out their favorite vintage cars, and even Kendra found a hot pink one that she wanted. Mia was pretty clingy to Greg today, which was new and different. I didn't mind at all! Of course, then I had to carry around the bag of goodies, four water bottles and try to take pictures of everything! We finished off the evening with a trip to Golden Corral. Fun family day!

4 comments:

Leah said...

I can't believe how much bigger Mia looks than Christmastime! That's funny that Kendra just crashed on the ground. I can tell how bright it must have been with everyone's (especially Kyle's!) squinty faces. The boys' cars look great, and the antiques look cool, too. Sounds like a fun day! You guys always seem to have something to do to keep busy; that's awesome. (Nice pics, btw.)

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Sounds like fun, I'm, glad the boys did well. I hated going to those growing up, Esmael always did poorly and I always felt so bad for him. I told Will that if we ever had sons I don't know if I would beable to go, to stressful. Although with Will being an engineer our sons would probably do ok. Thats if we had any sons :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! I wish Grace would find a piece of grass and take a nap sometimes...

Anonymous said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! We just had our ward Pinewood Derby today, the kids had a blast! Your kids are so cute and you are so good about taking lots of pictures, I need to get better about that. Have a great remainder of your weekend! Ok I am coming down this week for spring break, we should TRY and get together. I am meeting with the two different school districts trying to decide where we should rent so Kenz can be in a school that has a good speech path. ok well hopefully I will see you next week sometime!