This year the ward camp out was moved up to June instead of August; I'm glad since it has always conflicted with the school's open house. Despite all of our plans to leave before noon on Thursday, Greg had to go to work, then shop for the ward breakfast, then pack. Anyway - after picking up Michael and two of his friends we headed out to the Laguna Mountains by 6 pm. We had to take both the truck and the van because we have too much camping equipment to put in the van! Plus we had a few extra people...so we got there just before dark and Greg got the tent up in record time. Some families were already there so we had a fun evening of visiting. The next morning after breakfast we headed out on a four mile hike. Pretty ambitious with the kids - but they were little troopers! The boys did excellent. We carried Mia the whole way, and Kendra about half the way. It took about three hours all told including stops to enjoy the view and walking at the pace of 4 year olds. It was fun, though we did get sunburned and scared a rattlesnake under a rock! Back at the camp we visited and played horseshoes till dark, had a yummy dinner of steak and cheesy dutch oven potatoes and steamed veggies (Greg was awesome to figure out how to steam in a dutch oven - thanks babe!) We made root beer floats with homemade root beer from the Pace's. Mmm. And s'mores of course! Brother Soto is a Cocopah Indian in our ward and he gave a nice fireside about how he grew up and how we need to appreciate nature. The kids loved it when he spoke in his language. After such long day the kids were so tired that they fell right asleep in their sleeping bags. In the morning the bishopric made french toast and sausage for breakfast - there was even yogurt! (A huge leap from our annual breakfast burritos) I appreciated the change. After cleaning up camp and playing more horseshoes we headed out. We stopped for lunch and the bottom of the mountain in Pine Valley. At the Diner we saw one of Ben's teachers who was on her way to San Diego. What are the odds?! We got home tired and filthy, but relaxed and happy! Oh and I have to brag on Mia who only had one accident the whole trip! Only one pair of panties was sacrificed on this camp out.
Kendra and Kate were inseparable.
Amy and Mia - cute little buddies.
Poor Greg! Eventually Mia let me carry her on my shoulders.
See the rattler?
Hiking pal Julie with Kyle and Ben.
View from the top.
Four things my girls love: yogurt, root beer, dogs and dirt!
Our outdoor chef.
I hardly saw the boys and when I did they were covered in dirt! Good times.
An addicting game that I'm horrible at! Photo courtesy of Kyle.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Ward Campout '08
Posted by Angela at 1:34 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
what a sweet picture of them being carried by good ol' dad! :)
dang it I wish we could have gone, I love the mountains. Jason was out of town though and theres no way I would attempt that with 3 kids by myself! So I went to phoenix instead. I'll have you guys over to swim again when I get back, i know how it feels to wake up in the summer every day and wonder what you'll do with your kids because its too hot to do anything but stay inside.
Whoops I accidentally signed in with my sister in law lindsay's account, this is actually debbie:)
Very ambitious to do a 4 mile hike with 4 kids. I'm impressed! Way to enjoy the campout and make memories with your kids.
Post a Comment