Kyle and Ben have completed their first karate rank. After being tested they both got their yellow belts. It was very cute - they had a little program where they showed the parents what they'd been learning, then they handed out the belts. Kyle got to demonstrate some kicking moves. He is by far the most proficient. Poor Ben looked lost most of the time, and his moves were not fast and strong like they were supposed to be. They both want to continue, but I'm not sure if Ben really enjoys it (he complained a LOT about lessons) or just wants to because Kyle is. I have a feeling Ben is not going to be very sporty. He didn't like soccer, T-ball was okay, now he's wishy washy about martial arts. He loves drawing, cooking and singing and wants to start piano lessons. I guess I'll start those as soon as we get our poor old piano tuned. Does anyone have any ideas for extracurricular activities for this kid? At least until March when he can go to Cub Scouts...we've been counting down for that - he can't wait.



Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Yellow Belts
Posted by Angela at 9:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Sorry, clueless about activities for boys :)
Love the new template though!
I love to read your blog to catch up on what you guys are doing. Sorry I am so bad at calling etc... I miss you guys. It looks like you have been doing well. What about art class for Ben or maybe like a kids hip hop class. One of my friends put her 4 yr old in it. Its fun, artsy, and keeps them active. Just a shot in the dark
Gymnastics? Or look at theatre? Desert Pointe is putting on regular productions.
I love the look of your new blog. I don't know how a movie will work for Shelly with her new baby, but maybe we can all do lunch or something, I will call Diane today and see what we can set up. It would be cool to have Diane take her out and us be there too, kinda like a suprise get together or something. What is Desert Pointe, is that the Beauty and the Beast thing? Jan was telling me and Jeremy that we need to do it, but I didn't get much info being in the bathroom at church and all. Ok I will call you later. Oh and your boys are such cute little Karate boys. Skyler did it for a little while, but complained way too much for me to keep him in it.
you have little ninjas!!
Maybe a good idea for Ben would be wood working or leather work. It's creative and offers thinking time as well. It could serve as a good outlet. My outlet was the piano -- it still is. Whenever I am put out or am trying to calm down, I take some aggression out with energetic pieces on my poor piano.
You could try some cooking classes or some art classes or activity classes. I know a bunch of places up here that you could try. Too bad you guys are so far away. :( Maybe swim lessons would work since he would see the benefit of them every time you went swimming.
I'm rather proud of the fact that I got my blue belt in karate. Except it was when I was 17 and I don't remember ONE thing about karate so that blue belt is useless now.:) I'm going to teach piano as soon as baby's old enough, maybe after christmas, maybe next school year, I'll have to see. I need to get my piano tuned too, its so out of tune.
What about swimming? That can be done all year around here.
Look at parks and rec. I remember one of my kids doing a fun cooking class there....
Post a Comment