Monday, August 25, 2008

Lost and Found

Well, Ben gave us quite a scare last night. Here's what happened. First of all, we'd had a hard day, lots of attitude, and I was pretty much fed up with him. After dinner at my mom's we were leaving (around 7:15) to get the kids ready for bed. Ben ran and hid from me in the backyard instead of getting in the car. After a quick look around I called out that he'd better get in the car. When he didn't come I told Jim that I'd send Greg over to get Ben after his meeting got out, and then I left. I got the kids settled in and around 20 minutes later my mom called frantically saying that they couldn't find Ben. They started driving around and my brother biked over to our house past the canals to see if he wandered that way. By now it was dark and I called Greg to come help. I felt helpless and frustrated that I was stuck at home and not helping look. Finally at 8:05 I got a phone call from a lady I knew from the kids' school. I knew she lived in my parent's neighborhood and figured she must have Ben. And she did. Whew! Let me tell you - she was an answer to some pretty fervent prayers. After Greg picked him up he spilled his guts to me and this is his side. After we left he came out of hiding and decided to walk home. My folks live in Barkley Ranch and he made it to Ave. D when it got dark. He decided to go back to my mom's house so she could take him home or call me. Going back into the confusing neighborhood is when he got lost. Julia found him crying and wandering down her street, recognized him and called me. The poor kid had cut his heel running in the dark with no shoes on and confided that he had been really scared to be lost in the dark. As angry as I was at him for running off like that, I was relieved to have him home and I'd never seen him shaken up like that. I eventually let him get to bed after many hugs and a long talk. I was surprised that I didn't have a bunch of grey hairs this morning!

13 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Holy crap!! I'm glad he's ok. I would have been beside myself. Sounds like he really learned his leason, I'm sure he was scared.

The Ching-A-Lingas said...

OH my Gosh!!! I lost Kymani for 5 minutes in a store when he was little and I was in tears I couldnt imagine it being any longer. You poor thing=( Sounds like he learned his lesson though.. Also I do feel really bad for him too. when I was his age my friends parents left me behind in town on accident and I was lost wondering Rexburg Idaho for almost 2 hours. so I feel his pain..it is the scariest thing.

Megan and Sean said...

Holy cow, scary! I'm sooooo glad everything turned out okay!

Linsey F said...

That is one of my biggest fears. I don't know what I would do if my child was missing! I am glad everything turned out okay. Good FHE discussion for tonight with the other kids!!!!

Leah said...

Man, I remember Jonathan and Michael always wandering off (living on 18th St). It sounds like Ben learned a valuable lesson, and I'm glad everything turned out ok! Poor kid.

The McEwen Family said...

oh i'm so glad you found him I bet your were scared to death and i'm sure him getting lost he learned his lesson. So i'm sure it's better you loved him then got mad at him!

Mauzy Fam said...

Oh my gosh! YOu must have been frantic! I'm SO glad he's safe and sound and I'm sure he learned his lesson all on his own.

PEHNelson said...

HOLY CRAP! I don't even know what to say! I'm sure you held each of your kids much tighter today, and were glad they were there!

Rebecca said...

Wow! Glad he's ok, what a scare! Little turkey!

Anonymous said...

That is so scary, I am so glad he was ok, I bet you are still having adreneline surges when you think about that, so scary. Poor little guy, I bet he will never run off and hide from you again. Glad the lady found him and kept him safe for you.

Anonymous said...

YIKES! I would have been a frantic mess. Glad everything turned out ok. Just a hard lesson learned.

Tina said...

Awful experience!

I had a similar one with my son years ago. It was a pretty good lesson for him AND for us.

I am so glad your story had a happy ending...

Jme said...

That is so scary! It is one of my biggest fears that one of my kids will get lost. I've already told Robert that they will never going on a boy scout trip to the high uintas when they are older because it seems like every year a boy gets lost. I just don't think I could handle that. I'm so glad that everything turned out okay.