Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Yellowstone (Part 3)

Monday afternoon our family and Greg's brother Robert's family drove 1 1/2 hours to Yellowstone National Park. It had been a few years since we'd gone, and the boys didn't remember the last time so it was lots of fun. We saw some buffalo right away, the boys couldn't believe they were just walking along the road. We stopped for a picnic lunch were the kids entertained some ground squirrels. And vice versa. Next we drove around to see some geysers and hot springs. The kids LOVED the sulfur smell and kept pulling their shirts over their noses. I loved how well the four boys got along. Brandon and Sean are fun cousins. After our short hike we drove up to Mammoth where we passed many elk, a coyote in the road, a pack of wolves (we had to use binoculars), and my very favorite - a bear cub! Oh man it was so cute - and right on the side of the road in a little meadow, eating away. We ate a late dinner and began the adventure that was 'sleeping in the van'. It was my crazy idea, so I can't really complain. We took the seats out of the back and blew up an air mattress to put there. I ended up sleeping between Ben and Kendra, with Kyle on the side, Mia tucked in between the mattress and the front seats, and Greg laying across the end of the mattress. Cozy! I woke up a lot that night between Kendra smashing my nose with her head, Greg rolling on to my feet, and the little ones crying in the van next door. It's okay Jamie, I'm a really light sleeper. The next morning we drove a while and then did a couple mile hike to Storm Point which the big boys loved and the little girls wouldn't have minded being a bit shorter. Next stop was Old Faithful. I still think it's cool every time I see it! After shopping for souvenirs at the lodge, we headed back to Sugar City to rearrange and pack up and say goodbye to Grandma and Grandpa Barrus. We appreciate them letting us stay in their backyard and cooking us yummy food! Then we drove to Springville to stay in my inlaw's empty house. (They're in St. George for the summer.) It was great to spend time with Rob and Jamie and their sweet kids. Thanks for coming with us guys!

1 comments:

Tina said...

Awesome pictures! Brings back memories of my vacation....:) We didn't get to see a bear. I'm glad you spotted one.