Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Very First Cruise!

My mom and Jim gave Greg and I a fantastic early Christmas present...a 4 day cruise!
We drove to San Diego on December 6th and stood in the pouring rain until we could get into customs where I found out it is NOT ok to take pictures.

After cooling our heels for a while in the terminal, we were let onto the ship where we promptly found the dining room. (Hey, it was lunchtime!) After some tasty salad and grilled sandwiches we were allowed to find our stateroom. Which unlike the diagram on the website showed, did not have a window. Oh, it had curtains. Just not a window behind them. Very reassuring for someone who has claustrophobia. We also had bunks. Very romantic for a cruise.
We went up to the top deck to watch the departure and the horn scared us to death! It was very windy and the waves were choppy. The deck was pretty empty, most people were in their rooms trying to get their sea legs. Greg and I lurched around the ship, checking it out and enjoying the crisp ocean air. We had great seats for the evening entertainment which was a funny trivia game and a very lame hypnotist show. Trust me, even the one at the Fair was better. After some late night hot chocolate we made it back to our room.
The elevator inside the ship.

Me with the Coronado Bridge in the background.

Greg's on deck.

The next day we didn't do a whole lot...slept in, wandered around, looked at all the very expensive shops, took some pictures. And read. Of course I brought a book!
The Carnival Elation

Enjoying the sunshine

A cool piano bar.

This picture is for Melissa who I promised to take an awkward picture for. Here it is...the overextended leg! :)

That evening's entertainment was a Holiday show with lots of singing and dancing. Jim schooled us in the ways of ordering dinner...just get everything! Greg was very enthusiastic about this method. I ate quite a bit, but did refrain from overindulging. Yay me! We got to listen to an awesome jazz band after dinner.
The next day we were at Catalina Island. We got off and toured the pretty and quaint little town. We took a nice walk by the ocean and bought some souvineers. Before too long we headed back to get ready for the Captain's Dinner. This was the fancy "dress up" dinner. One thing I never got used to was all of the photographers! Every night they would crowd the corridors and have different backgrounds and poses. We did end up buying a few. (That's where they getcha...food is free, but the pictures? SO NOT!)

Catalina Island

Cool fountain

Cool fake buffalo...they were used in a movie that was filmed here and then left to roam.

Ready for our fancy dinner...steak and lobster!

Mom and Jim were our table companions. We were in a booth with just the four of us.

Um...cheese?

"Photos by Deb"

Awww.

Me and my momma.

The four of us!

After dinner was an impressive dance and singing show. Lots of flashy costumes and lots of talent. It motivated me to try my hand at Karaoke. I was a little nervous at first, this being my first time and all, but it turned out to be a blast, and I don't think I was half bad. (At least I wasn't drunk and singing "Billy Jean")

Our last day was spent in Ensenada Mexico. We took a walk to downtown and shopped, had an amazing massage, grabbed lunch at a yummy taco place, and got a picture with an actor. Anyone recognize him? (Hint: he's LDS)


Adam was very friendly. We'd got talking with him on the ship the night before when I told him he looked really familiar to me! He was cruising with his family.






The show on our final night was this comedian.

I don't remember his name, I think he was on Last Comic Standing? Anyway, he was pretty funny!
Our last breakfast on the ship...yes my mom got braids.

It was such a fun experience...one I would love to do again! Thanks again guys!

2 comments:

Leah said...

I love Greg's face in the first Catalina pic! LOL! Oh, and Mom said you were encored after singing your first karaoke song. Cool! I'd like to go on a cruise again... maybe in 10 yrs or so.

Angela said...

It was so sunny...I went and bought sunglasses as a souviner! Mom...such a braggart...lol. We should do a big family cruise, how fun would that be!?